The following documents must be prepared prior to beginning the case opening process:
|To file a Complaint or Petition||To file a Notice of Removal|
Entry of underlying case opening information:
|1. Click on Civil on the main CM/ECF menu bar.|
|2. Click on Open a Civil Case from the civil events list.|
Selecting the Divisional Venue:
The first step is to select the correct divisional venue in accordance with LR 3-2(b).
- When filing a Complaint or Petition, the divisional venue is the division of the court in which a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred or a substantial part of the property that is the subject of the action is situated.
- When filing a Notice of Removal, the divisional venue is the county where the originating complaint was filed.
- LR 3-2(a) establishes counties and their corresponding divisional codes as follows:
- Portland Division (Division Code 3): Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Hood River, Jefferson, Multnomah, Polk, Tillamook, Wasco, Washington, and Yamhill counties.
- Pendleton Division (Division Code 2): Baker, Crook, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, and Wheeler counties.
- Eugene Division (Division Code 6): Benton, Coos, Deschutes, Douglas, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion counties.
- Medford Division (Division Code 1): Curry, Jackson, Josephine, Klamath, and Lake counties.
|Determine the proper division and then select the appropriate Office from the drop-down menu.|
|Click the Next button. Fill out the Other court name and Other court number fields with the appropriate state court information if you are filing a Notice of Removal. It is not necessary to fill out these fields if you are filing a Complaint or Petition.|