LR 23 - Class Actions
(See Fed. R. Civ. P. 23)
LR 23-1 Document Caption Requirements (See LR 10-2)
The words CLASS ACTION ALLEGATION must be included on the first line of any document proposing or seeking to maintain a class action.
|Example||CLASS ACTION ALLEGATION COMPLAINT
Product Liability Action (28 U.S.C. § 1332)
DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL
LR 23-2 Pleading Requirements
The filing party must also explain in separately titled and numbered paragraphs within the body of the document:
- How this action meets the prerequisites mandated by Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(a);
- How this action can be maintained as a class action under Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(b);
- The basis on which the party claims either to be an adequate representative of the class; or that the class is comprised of defendants, and that those individuals named as defendants are adequate representatives of the proposed class; and
- The question(s) of law and fact alleged to be common to the class.
- Last Updated: Tuesday, February 14, 2017