(See Appendix A and Appendix B)
Events under Other Filings are accessible by menus created by event type. This menu offers events for ADR Documents, Discovery Documents, Notices, Trial Documents, Appeal Documents, and Other Documents. Procedures for filing these events are straightforward and similar to posting other documents where the user selects the event, selects the party, and completes the Link Party Attorney screen. Events of note are further described below.
Notice events for the appearance, withdrawal or substitution of counsel of record will prompt the user to add or terminate an attorney.
The procedure for filing trial events is similar to all other documents; select case, select filer. The next screen permits the user to choose what type of trial event to file. Select the type of trial event to be filed from the picklist. Proposed Jury Instructions, Voir Dire, and Verdict form events are found on this menu. Multiple trial events may be selected simultaneously by holding down the Ctrl key as selections are made.
The Notice of Appeal event is used for appeals to the Ninth Circuit as well as patent and trademark appeals to the Federal Circuit. The filing fee is payable during the event transaction. See Credit Card Payments in CM/ECF.
The Other Documents menu contains various events that vary in type. Select the event, select attorney, select party, and link party filer. Select the type of event to be filed from the picklist. Multiple events may be selected simultaneously.
(a) Proposed Documents (See LR 5-11(c))
(1) Proposed Forms of Orders or Judgments: Proposed forms of orders or judgments, when requested, are to be docketed and served and clearly identified as proposed documents. In addition to a generic form of proposed order or judgment event, there are also specific events for certain types of proposed orders.
(2) Proposed Amended Pleadings: When leave of court is sought for filing an amended pleading or document, first choose the appropriate motion event. The proposed amended pleading is to be filed as an attachment to the motion event. The attachment description must be "Proposed Document."
(3) Proposed Pretrial Order - Individual: Use this event to file a proposed pretrial order submitted on behalf of an individual party or fewer than all the parties represented in the case.
(4) Proposed Pretrial Order - Joint: Use this event to file a proposed pretrial order submitted on behalf of all parties represented in the case.
(b) Ex parte Submissions
Ex parte submissions to the Court may be made electronically by selection of the ex parte function (0ex1 or 0ex2) with the event. For information about submitting documents in camera or under seal, see LR 3-7, LR 3-8, and LR 26-4.
- Select 0ex1 - Ex Parte Docket Entry and Document when the existence of the entry and the contents of the document are restricted to only the filer and the Court.
- Select 0ex2 - Ex Parte Document when the existence of the entry may be known to the opposing party but the document is restricted to only the filer and the Court.
(c) Consents to Proceed Before a Magistrate Judge
Effective March 6, 2017, individual party Consents to Proceed Before a Magistrate Judge are to be filed electronically (See Standing Order 2017-4).