Text Size

User Registration and Attorney Admissions

Information on registering to use the CM/ECF system for attorneys and self-represented parties.

  • Can I be sworn in immediately? +

    An admissions ceremony is held each month in Portland. The Eugene, Medford and Pendleton division offices also conduct admissions ceremonies during the month.

  • Can you tell me when I was admitted to the Federal Bar of the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon? +

    You may contact the Clerk's office and ask for the Attorney Admissions Clerk.

  • Do government attorneys need to fill out an application for admission? +

    Yes.  Government attorneys must complete an Application for Special Temporary Admission - Government Attorneys.  The admission fee is waived for government attorneys. Government attorneys may attend an admissions ceremony, but are not required to do so.

  • Do I have to attend an admissions ceremony? +

    No.  To arrange to be admitted without attending an admissions ceremony, you must submit a letter to the admissions clerk in the appropriate division requesting a separate date and time for admission before that month's presiding judge.

  • Do I have to be a member of the Oregon State Bar to practice in the District of Oregon? +

    Yes. Local Rule 83-2 states: Admission to general practice, and continuing membership in the bar of this Court, is limited to attorneys of good moral character who are active members in good standing with the Oregon State Bar.

  • Do I need to register a change of address/firm? +

    Local Rule 83-10 answers this question and provides the procedure for changes of address or firm affiliation. Note also that whenever an attorney leaves a firm, the firm is responsible for filing notices of substitution of counsel for any pending cases assigned to that attorney.

    LR 83-10 Notification of Change of Address or Affiliation

    (a) Current Address Information

    Every attorney admitted to general or special practice, and every unrepresented party, has a continuing responsibility to notify the Clerk's office whenever their mailing address, telephone number, and/or business e-mail address changes. Commensurate with filing the notice to the Court, the attorney must update his/her CM/ECF User Account.

    (b) Notice of Change of Mailing and/or Business E-Mail Address

    Notice of a change of mailing and/or business e-mail address must be filed in pleading form and served on all parties to any pending action, or case on appeal.

  • How do I apply to serve on, or be removed from, the Court's Pro Bono Panel? +

    To be added to the panel, e-mail or mail the Application for Inclusion on the Pro Bono Representation Panel form to the Pro Bono Panel Administrator, Nicole Munoz. See the Pro Bono page for more details. To be removed from the Panel, simply email Nicole requesting to be removed.

  • How do I register to use CM/ECF? +


    • Not Admitted to Practice in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon

      To register for CM/ECF, attorneys must be admitted to practice before the Court. During the admission application process, new admittees (of all types, including pro hac vice admission) are registered to use CM/ECF. See Admissions for more information.

    • Already Admitted to Practice in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon

      Attorneys that are already admitted to practice in the Court but have not previously registered to use CM/ECF may register by completing and submitting the online CM/ECF Registration Form.

    Self-represented Parties

    See E-Filing for Self-Represented Parties for information on how to register to use CM/ECF in matters where you are representing yourself. 

  • What are your rules surrounding form of pleading? +

    Local Rule (LR) 10 contains guidelines for the form of pleading and other doucuments submitted to the court. LR 7 also contains some form requirements regarding motions practice specifically.

  • When is the next attorney admissions ceremony? +

    The admissions ceremony in Portland is held the second or third Monday or Tuesday of every month.  Attorneys must submit their applications by the end of the previous month to be scheduled for the next month's ceremony.  For example, if an attorney wants to attend an admissions ceremony on December 14, the application must be submitted by November 30.

  • Where can I find admissions applications? +

    Applications can be found on the Court's website under the Attorney Admissions section.

  • 1


Enter Your Name(*)
Please let us know your name.

Enter Your Email(*)
Please let us know your email address.

Phone Number
Please let us know your phone number.

Please select a subject.

Please let us know your message.